Saturday, April 24, 2010

Pink's A Whole New Mind Chapter Eight

Pink’s A Whole New Mind, Chapter Eight, Play

In talking about how play is important, Pink points out that that physicians “who spend at least three hours a week playing video games make about 37 percent fewer mistakes in laparoscopic surgery and perform the task 27 percent faster than their counterparts who did not play.” I was introduced to video games by my daughters. My own experience is that the games may or may not have benefited any of my abilities, but I can say the puzzle games, which are more intellectual, held my interest more than battle or racing games.

Pink also talks about how the workplace can be more productive if it is more light-hearted. I think this is especially pertinent to art subject matter, because along with the serious aspects of the objectives comes the built-in aspect of having fun.

This chapter makes me think of the phrase used when one is stressed: “If I don’t laugh I could cry.” It seems to me this type of humor or play helps to keep one healthy.

Pink points out on page 203 that “we rarely laugh alone.” This reminds me of the time when I went to see The Exorcist, expecting to experience some frightening moments. Instead, I laughed during the scary scenes because I was caught up in the laughter all around me.

I find laughter does not come to me as easily as it did when I was younger, and that I am careful who I joke around. Maybe I need to locate a laughter club such as the one Dr. Kataria created.

No comments:

Post a Comment