Friday, April 23, 2010

Gardner's Chapter 2

Some thoughts on Gardner’s Chapter Two, The Disciplined Mind

Gardner’s ideas in this chapter can be applied to art teaching in the following manner: In art, the disciplined mind studies, examines, and experiments to discover and/or advance a concept. The artist may endeavor to take a idea to its fullest potential, hoping not to overlook any possibilities for the concept, or want to explore the many different directions the concept may take.

I think teachers can have some influence on students’ ability to develop a disciplined mind. Teachers can help them to find the subject area, such as history, science, literature, music, or art, in which to use the disciplined mind.

Could it be that the person who has not developed a disciplined mind is the person who is without meaning or direction in his/her life?

On page 34, Gardner points out the importance of placing students in situations to determine if they have grasped or retained a concept, thereby helping them to develop disciplined minds. In my graduate psychology class, this would have been referred to as transference of knowledge. In my classes, I try I try to develop units that encourage the transference of knowledge.

At the end of this chapter, Gardner tells how Artur Rubinstein needed to practice at the piano daily to stay on top of his game, and when he didn’t his abilities suffered. Through this constant practice, he was also able to renew his craft, thus revitalizing himself. This could be said for anyone no matter the profession.

On leaving this chapter, I would like to say how my “disciplined” mind does not memorize all the information I would like it to, but at least I know where to put my fingers on the research.

2 comments:

  1. Way to stay committed to the cause!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoy your blog it's very informative ans I would have thought that you were doing this for years. You keep us well informed to your experiences.

    ReplyDelete